Research Foci in the Neurobiology Laboratory
The Neurobiology Laboratory is at present focusing its research activities
on the function of glial cells at synapses. Of particular interest are
the following questions:
- Do astrocytes form networks for selective information transfer and
if so how do these networks modify neuronal networks?
- How do astrocytes convey information about synaptic activity to
capillaries and arterioles?
- What are the mechanisms of transmission between astrocytes and the
smooth muscle of arterioles?
- What are the mechanisms by which glial cells determine the growth
of new synaptic connections in the mature nervous system?
- What are the mechanisms of transmission between astrocytes?
- To what extent do changes in astrocyte/microglia networks occur
in disease states of the brain?
Prof Max Bennett publication